Where to go around the town
The historical centre of the town of Levoca is surrounded by the town’s fortifications. Levoca is renowned as the place where Master Pavol worked. The town was declared a memorial reservation due to the fact that a contains a number of significant cultural and historical memorials. In the town square stands the church of St. Jacob with the highest gothic alter in the world with a height of 18.64 metres. The main alar was made from linden and completed in between 1507-1517 in Master Pavols workshop in Levoca. In the church we can also find valuable baroque ostensories from the Levoca goldsmith Jan Szilassyh. Neighbouring this parish church is the renaissance building of the town hall with its majestic arches. Within this building there is an exhibition from the Spis Museum dedicated to the history of of the town. Next to the town hall there is the renaissance bell tower and the infamous cage of shame, which in the past was used for the public pilloring of delinquents. Also of interes tis the renaissance Thurzov town house with its nouveau renaissance facade.
The striking dominant of the village of Spissky Stvrtok is the Roman Catholic Church of St. Ladislav built in a gothic style. Later the church was extended by the inclusion of the Zapolsky Chapel. It was made to order by the Hungarian Palatin, Stefan Zapolsky for his family and himself. This building is considered to be the most beautiful gothic architecture in Slovakia.
In the village of Markusovce we can find the Markusovke Kastiel containing a museum of furniture, and in the park there is the summer manor house of Dardanely with a permenant exhibition of musical Instruments.In the village of Markusovce we can find the Markusovke Kastiel containing a museum of furniture, and in the park there is the summer manor house of Dardanely with a permenant exhibition of musical Instruments.
Under the heals of Spis castle, which is one of the largest castle ruins in Central Europe, lies the town of Spisske Podhradie. An administrative part of the town is the memorial reservation of the Spisska Kapitula – a sort of clerical town on whose square stands the Cathedral of St. Martin with the Zapolsky Chapel made according to thedesigns of the french Saint Chapelle. By the palace there was in the past a french park which was entered by the still existing clock tower. A part of this complex are the buildings of the former seminary.
Spis Castle is a national cultural memorial made up of more than 4 hectres and is one of the biggest castle ruin complexes in Central Europe. The oldest written mentions of the castle date back to 1120 when it served the function of a border fort on the northern frontier of the early feudal Hungarian State. The castle also resisted attacks by the Tatars, however its defence system was further fortified. Northern Italian master stonemasons also took part in the building process during the 13th century. The castle complex was destroyed by a fire in 1780 which marked the beginning of the decline of the famous Spis Castle, which gradually became a ruin. The interior furnishings were rescued and taken to the kastiels in Hodkovce and Markusovce.
The travertine mound named Grey Beard stands not far from Spis Castle and is a significant natural phenomenon of the Spis region. There is a mineral spring bubbling under the hill and on top of the hill there is a pigrim’s Chapel dating back to 1675. The mound has been a natural resevation since 1979.
In the nearby village of Zehra we can find the Roman Catholic church of St.Spirit, which was enterd in to the list of national cultural memorials. Inside the church are preserved unique medieval wall waintings.
The town of Kezmarok is rich in history which is documented by the number of preserved historical and cultural memorials, thanks to which the town was declared a memorial reservation in 1950. The most noteworthy of these are concentrated in the town square. The town is lined by old world town houses some of which still have their typically high shingle double-split rooves . Dominating the towns fortification complex is Kezmarok castle. The late gothic roman catholic church of St. Cross is amongst the largest church halls in Slovakia. Near the church we can find the renaissance bell tower.
The national cultural memorial of Cerveny Klastor, or the red monastery, lies beneath three crowning peaks and is the most significant tourist resort of Zamaguria. In this complex we can find a monastery constructed of red bricks thus the name, the red monastery. Gradually a village was built up by the monastery which was documented in letters dating as far back as the14th century. In the 16th century after the monks had been thrown out the monastery came in to secular hands although not for a very long time. The order of the Kamalduls, which moved here in the 18th century, repaired the monastery building and started running probably the oldest pharmacy in Slovakia. These days the complex houses a museum containing national history, pharmacy and historical exhibitions.
The town of Poprad is the gateway to the High Tatras national park. In thew historical town square of St. Egidia we can find a concentration of historical memorials sucha s the church of St. Egidia, a renaissance bell tower and an Evangelical church. Visitors to Poprad can visit the Podtatranske museum which is amongst the oldest in Slovakia.
Spisska Sobota, as apart of the town of Poprad, belonged in the past amongst the richest of Spis towns. The name of the town derives from a regularly held market on Saturdays ( Sobota ). Thanks to the preservation of of the town houses in the square with their typical high, protruding, massive, double rooves covered in shindles the town was declared a memorial reservation. There is the Roman Catholic church od St. George in the square where we can see an altar made by Master Pavol of Levoca. Near the church there is a renaissance bell tower and a park with a baroque statue of Immaculity.
In the town of Spisska Bela not only can we can visit the church of St. Anton Pustovnik, which is the main dominant of the town, but also the J.M. Petzvala Museum. Not only can we view documents about this creative inventor, mathematician and physicist born in Spisska Bela but we can also find valuable items illustrating the history of world photographic optics. The Petzvalov Crater on the moon is named after this inventor.
In the Strazky quarter of Spisska Beka there is a renaissance kastiel with an English park.
The village of Vrbov is known amongst tourists mainly due to its recreational areas built up on the edge of the village. There are ponds and the Vrbov Stream. The recreational area includes thermal swimming pools full of thermal water with temperatures of up to 56 degrees celsius.