The Province House
The Province House building since Middle Ages up to 1777 housed Town Hall. It is situated opposite parish church on the north side of the main square. The most interesting parts of the building itself is the front facade and Levoča's Gate. In the midst of the gate arc, a coat of arms of the Province of 16 Spiš Cities, is carved. It was used by Province since 1774. Beside Levoča's Gate, formerly used by horse carriages, there is a narrow passage for pedestrians.
The upper part of the front facade is decorated by rococo stucco with six cartouches which are placed among the windows. Each of the cartouches hide an allegory. These cartouches in between the windows symbolically express the qualities which a city or province official had to personify. The inscriptions from the left are as follows:
PONDERE SOLO - Only according to relevance
UTQUIS MERETUR - According to merit
SUUM CUIQUE - To each of his own
DIE NOCTUQUE - In day and in night
IN SOMNIS CUSTOS - Custodian of dreams
HINC OCULOS NUSQUAM - Do not look away
The meaning of these inscriptions briefly explain the following :
Official when officiating (justice execution - to each of his own) must adhere to the only material (only according to relevance) and moral (according to merit) nature of any matter, and neither in dreams (custodian of dreams) nor any circumstances (In day and in night) he must not evade the law (do not look away).
The Town Hall was bought in 1777 by Province of 16 Spiš Cities. The building served their purposes until the decline of the Province in 1876. Next proprietor, Saving's Bank of the 16 Spiš Cities, have building restored and built tin gable above the first floor. Since 1954 was occupied by National museum and housed exhibitions of the geology, mining and nature of Slovak Paradise National Park. Nowadays there houses Spiš Museum.